From: Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2023 5:04 AM
To: dev@ant.apache.org <dev@ant.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Issues with how Ivy processes maven dependency management
dependencies compared to adding a classifier key

External Email: Use Caution

Hi Mark

first of all please go and read
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lists.apache.org/thread/h372vt1ztd6gfmgmfkmqzrksx6fpw97g__;!!Eh6p8Q!GgynwlKf6QW3Ni-XDPMGKmczFHKLN_uAlLFMNWuYa6hCRFUwgy7ITEzA4_otBW07MduVoBD-ieBEm5kt19GVUSFtsQ$

I very much doubt you will find any people who know Ivy's internals
better than you do (by now) on this list.

On 2023-11-17, Kittisopikul, Mark Andrew wrote:

> Hello,

> At the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Janelia Research Campus, we
> encountered an issue with transitive dependencies when using the IJava [1]
> Jupyter kernel that uses Apache Ivy for dependency resolution.

> When adding the dependency org.janelia.saalfeld.lab.n5-ij [2] Ivy does not
> correctly recognize net.imglib2.imglib2 [3] as a compile dependency. This is
> because when processing the parent POM (pom-scijava [4]), Ivy only stores
> extra information with a groupId__artifactId key without the classifier.

> The initial fix I have produced is to modify the key to include the
> classifier: groupId__artifiactId__classifierId. I have prototyped these
> changes on a Github fork [5]. I would like to discuss how we might upstream
> these changes to Apache Ivy.

The changes are probably the same as in
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/mkitti/ant-ivy/pull/1/files__;!!Eh6p8Q!GgynwlKf6QW3Ni-XDPMGKmczFHKLN_uAlLFMNWuYa6hCRFUwgy7ITEzA4_otBW07MduVoBD-ieBEm5kt19EGrRpHlw$

Before I'd try to understand the changes you've made I'd ask you to back
out all changes that are not relevant to what you want to achieve. All
changes to whitespace, ordering of imports or changes to the eclipse
settings for example as they (1) are just noise when it comes to
understanding your changes and (2) may hide changes that are overlooked
when a reviewer thinks they can skip the changes as they "are just
noise".

This is not because I wouldn't trust you but rather because I don't
trust myself as a reviewer. We've had more than one changeset in Ant
that was big, looked good, and introduced subtle bugs that we
overlooked.

I vaguely recall having to change some classifier stuff in order to fix
a bug a few months ago[A] so I am not surprised there are more issues
lurking. Personally I'll be glad to review a PR and merge it - please
open a JIRA issue as well.

As for upstreaming the patch, even after we merged a PR we'd still have
to cut a release. Even if we managed to get enough people interested in
voting on that, I still want to point you at the thread linked from the
top of the mail.

Cheers

        Stefan

[A]