I remember if I'm not wrong Struts won't execute action when it has
validation errors. Maybe that's the case here where Struts doesn't want
to block action execution and merely wants to inform developer?

But anyway personally I think you're right, we should either change
LOG.error to LOG.warn or use actionErrors.

Regards.