This doesn't make sense to me; in unbundling, and providing a modern build
system, why are these sources mentioned?

Expat 2.2.x has it's own build schema, any attempt to replace expat's with
APR's seems misguided. Happy to stay mostly hands-off the mak/dsp as
this legacy tangle that users continue to consume, but the cmake was done
to turn windows builds into a conventional solution. The right fix there is to
just switch compiling sources for linking to a library, and let that library
maintainer do their thing.

So +1 to the dsp/mak change, but alternate CMakeFiles.txt feedback
to follow...