Hi Haisheng,

Thanks a lot for sharing this great proposal ~
For short I understand your idea as below:
1. Derive the distributions/collations that children COULD/MIGHT offer
2. Decide the best distributions/collations by first point and computing
logic of operator, say gropuings in Aggregate;

It comes to me that another important part is that children operator should
also provide the corresponding COST for the POSSIBLE distribution/collation.
The COST is not for the final plan, but a hypothesis.

Take below example
SELECT DISTINCT c, b FROM
  ( SELECT R.c c, S.b b FROM R, S
        WHERE R.a=S.a and R.b=S.b and R.c=S.c) t;
Suppose R is ordered by (c, b, a), and S is ordered by (b, c, a).
Aggregate
+--- InnerJoin
     |--- TableScan on R
     +--- TableScan on S

InnerJoin should deliver that its possible collations and corresponding
costs at the same time.
- If ordered by (c, b, a) my cost is ...
- If ordered by (b, c, a) my cost is ...
- If ordered by (a, b, c) my cost is ...
By which Aggregate decide the 'best' required collation.
By this way we can better limit the searching space and also target the
relatively optimized (if not best) plan.

Also when you say "I didn't say adding to RelNode, but a new API/interface
for physical operator only.", I'm not so clear;
Currently the physical operators in Calcite like EnumerableHashJoin,
EnumerableMergeJoin, when created, their physical behavior(like real
collations) are determined.
So I belive you intend to add new API at upper layer, but there's no
physical optimizing phase in Calcite at this moment. Where do you want to
add the new API, can you specify ?

Thanks,
Jin

Jinfeng Ni <j...@apache.org> 于2019年11月6日周三 上午1:56写道: