Vladimir>Quidem, CalciteAssert
Michael>If you want to propose removing either of these, we could have a
Michael>discussion about it, but you're talking about code which is already
Michael>heavily used throughout Calcite.

The point of "we assume contributors are good at Java, thus we must keep
the code to be Java-only" is weak.
New contributors will likely see Quidem and CalciteAssert for the first
time, and Java knowledge does not help there.

It does not imply that languages like Quidem and/or CalciteAssert are a bad
fit for their job, but it is wrong to judge
based solely on "it is not Java".

Michael>The consensus from the discussion you started seems to be that
Michael>Kotlin should not be added to the tests

It is not like that.

Michael>I agree that for these specific tests, readability is improved

That is exactly my point. There's an improvement, the downsides are small,
so I just committed it.

Michael>But many tests require more than this

That is to be discussed on a test by test basis (or use-case by use-case).
For instance, strings (especially, multi-line ones) with $ is an issue for
Kotlin for now.

Vladimir