The current cassandra-stress is in poor condition and clocks in at a hefty
16k lines of Java code.  I was involved in some work with it last Summer
(CASSANDRA-18529) and it was tricky.

I'm strongly in favor of replacing it with a modern tool which is easier to
configure and more user friendly.  While it's a valid concern to ask who
might help maintain it, the same could be asked about the
existing cassandra-stress which has not been well maintained recently.

A separate subproject like dtest and the Java driver would maybe help
address concerns with introducing a gradle build system and Kotlin.