An alternative approach would be a help-wanted page, organized according to skills, maintained on the same sort of system as the board agenda. Each PMC chair whose project is looking for volunteers would supply information about their needs. The result would be a public web page potential volunteers could search.

Ideally, it would be on a whimsey-like system, but a start could be made by just defining a format and keeping the master page in a PMC chair accessible SVN archive.