On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/2016 08:22 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

>>> In related news, I always found PlanetApache (and, in particular, the
>>> Twitter component of it - http://twitter.com/planetapache/ - a wonderful
>>> source of news. Is there a chance that I could get the config file and
>>> spin up a new copy of this?
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/planet/
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/docs/services/planet.txt
>>
>>> I know it was shut down because it quit working and nobody was
>>> interested in maintaining it. However, Venus takes very little to
>>> maintain, and I suppose I should have volunteered a long time ago.
>
> Thanks, Sam.
>
> Of course, the related question is, *why* was this service shut down?

Short answer: this service was originally deployed when everybody was
given ids on minotaur and given access to install software.  This has
changed.  Here's a more official link (requires authorization):

https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/infrastructure/201605.mbox/%3c5725b3f9.1030...@apache.org%3E

> Was it just that the committers.ini file was out dated and nobody was
> updating it? If so, perhaps mentioning this periodically on
> committ...@apache.org would be the right approach rather than just
> dropping the service.

Nope.

> If it's resources, or someone to maintain it, that makes more sense.
> Perhaps once I have the service running again we can point the DNS
> record at it again?

That's closer.

The right solution (from an infrastructure perspective, and for long
term maintainability) is to have planet.apache.org puppetized.  As
such, it could be deployed to comdev-vm, and the dns records updated.

... and that's where the conversation inevitably stops.  The
infrastructure team doesn't want to own this service (i.e., with SLA
uptime guarantees); they would much rather support the VM on which
this service is run.  Unfortunately, to date we have not found anybody
willing to learn enough of puppet to meet the infrastructure team half
way.

More personally, I could puppetize this in short order, (and I clearly
know the venus software as I created it) but I don't want to own the
service.  I'll be glad to help by providing answers and pointers, and
there are plenty of people on #asfinfra on HipChat who also can help.
And if the person that volunteers can help others with similar tasks
down the road, perhaps we can expand the number of services that are
run without further burdening the infrastructure team.

> I find stuff like this really useful in getting a sense of what the
> larger community is up to. I'd personally like it if it was a Planet of
> posts that were tagged 'apache', but that's a conversation that we had
> to death back when the service was started up in the first place.

There is no reason why there can't be multiple planets.

> --
> Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
> http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

- Sam Ruby