On 12/13/2016 04:14 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> > If it's resources, or someone to maintain it, that makes more sense.
>> > Perhaps once I have the service running again we can point the DNS
>> > record at it again?
> That's closer.
>
> The right solution (from an infrastructure perspective, and for long
> term maintainability) is to have planet.apache.org puppetized.  As
> such, it could be deployed to comdev-vm, and the dns records updated.
>
> ... and that's where the conversation inevitably stops.  The
> infrastructure team doesn't want to own this service (i.e., with SLA
> uptime guarantees); they would much rather support the VM on which
> this service is run.  Unfortunately, to date we have not found anybody
> willing to learn enough of puppet to meet the infrastructure team half
> way.
>
> More personally, I could puppetize this in short order, (and I clearly
> know the venus software as I created it) but I don't want to own the
> service.  I'll be glad to help by providing answers and pointers, and
> there are plenty of people on #asfinfra on HipChat who also can help.
> And if the person that volunteers can help others with similar tasks
> down the road, perhaps we can expand the number of services that are
> run without further burdening the infrastructure team.

Yeah, there's no absolutely reason for this to have SLA uptime guarantees.

Also, it seems like something that ComDev should care about. In
particular, I would be glad to be responsible for the service. And we
could even put it on the feathercast.apache.org VM, so that no new VMs
need to be spun up.

So far as puppet, I know absolutely zero, but am willing to learn and/or
get out of the way, as necessary. I'd really like to resurrect this
service, if we can. I don't have a *lot* of extra time right now, but I
think I have enough time to poke at Venus every few weeks and encourage
committers and members to update their entries in the config file.

--
Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon