Hi all,

So, we have made it possible to “integrate” GitHub PRs, Issues and now even
Discussions by having infra auto-generate emails.
However, is the default setting for these just completely useless (in my
opinion).

Without taking action currently there are only the following options:

  *   A project just redirects the emails to another lists (commits@ or
notifications@ or whatever)
  *   A project gets a totally human-unreadable dev-list.

As I see my role as a director in actually having a look at all of our
mailinglists this has become more and more painful over time.
But it got me thinking: If I’m having problems being able to see what a project
is up to – so will others.

Some of the projects will have received many comments from me over the past few
months, as I’m trying to make dev-lists usable again.
Infra did add the ability to customize the default templates for the subjects
of auto-generated emails. And last month a PR of mine got merged, that also
allowed the customization of GitHub Discussions.

I had many discussions with folks at infra about changing the defaults, but
generally met opposition. The general argument was, that there would be bots
that automatically consume these emails and these would be confused if we
changed the defaults.

However, I think at the ASF we should be optimizing for people and not for
bots. Right now we have many projects where following the list is very
difficult and therefore we’re losing a big part of our transparency.

I’m bringing this here as I think Comdev is where such discussions should be
had.

So in general, I would like to change the defaults used by the GitHub tooling
to the ones I proposed in
https://community.apache.org/contributors/mailing-lists.html#configuring-the-subject-lines-of-the-emails-being-sent
 . Quite a number of projects have adopted these settings:
Like StreamPipes:
https://lists.apache.org/list?d...@streampipes.apache.org:lte=4M

What do you folks think?

Chris