On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 16:57, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:
> For step 2, we follow the roadmap that is generated in JIRA. That is, the
> roadmap is constantly maintained through ticket work and ticket maintenance.
> A link to this is even included prominently on the project homepage. We have
> found that maintaining a HTML roadmap separately to JIRA is too much trouble.
> Or, at least, we could infer that from the fact it was never updated by
> anyone. The roadmap (as a JIRA view) is effectively discussed on this list,
> and then codified through the tickets. I think that's Good Enough. And if
> it's not, then maybe we need to be smarter about how we use JIRA.

Okay, the roadmap is somewhat useful, and I wasn't aware of it.

Still, the problem I have is that it seems like there is a tendency to
make releases large; it seems like there's little control against devs
wanting to add their "one more thing". Particularly for bugfix
releases; from 1.0.1 it took almost 6 months for 1.0.2 to get
released. In between, there were a little under 100 revisions on the
1.0.x branch, presumably most of those fixing bugs users could
actually run into. It seems valuable to me if the community could have
gotten some of these fixes sooner.

I do realize the Apache release process is rather heavyweight, and
that CouchDB only recently got a second RM, but it would still be nice
if it was possible to have more timely releases.

(And I also agree with till's sentiment about roadmaps.)

Cheers,

Dirkjan