Laszlo Vegh
lv...@cloudera.com

Hi all,

I have a PR (https://github.com/apache/hive/pull/4060) which replaces the
current custom HMS schema evolution tool with Liquibase. The PR contains two
documents about the possible benefits, and about how to contribute new schema
changes in the new ecosystem.

Unfortunately it’s too big, and also contains key infrasrtucture related
changes, so it’s not the best idea to merge it directly to master. I’m thinking
about creating a separate branch, or dedicated release. It would based on
master, and would be in sync with it, but it would also contain the Liquibase
introduction PR. With this approach it would be easier to test it, play with
it, and merge back to master only when it is considered as stable.

I’m not sure what is the “Apache way” of doing this, is there any
recommendation, or approach about creating such versions/releases?

Best regards,
Laszlo Vegh