Hey Laszlo,

Thanks a lot for pushing this forward. I really love the diff in the
PR that shows 120K lines of code less than before :)

Apache software is not very different from enterprise software so the
same applies to releases as well.

Cutting a new release/branch would mean that we have to support and
maintain it as we do for other releases lines. It also means that it
will cost us infra resources since we will have to enable some kind of
CI if we want to accept PRs and keep things reasonably stable.

If there is a team of people that are willing to drive this effort
then nothing prevents us from having such a release. I would suggest
to find at least 2 PMC members that are willing to drive this effort
(prepare releases, drive CVE discussions, etc.) and a few committers
for reviewing and merging PRs. If there are enough volunteers then I
am fine with moving forward with such a plan.

Personally, I would prefer to see this land in the main master
branch/release rather than dividing our efforts into maintaining
separate branches. Upgrading to the latest release of a software is a
challenge itself so if we have multiple "latest" releases then the
challenge becomes even greater and may interfere a bit with the
adoption.

Best,
Stamatis