Hi, Jun, Justine,

Regarding `group.coordinator.version`, the idea is to use it to gate
records and APIs of the group coordinator. The first use case will be
KIP-848. We will use version 2 of the flag to gate all the new records and
the new ConsumerGroupHeartbeat/Describe APIs present in AK 3.8. So version
1 will be the only the old protocol and version 2 will be the currently
implemented new protocol. I don't think that we have any dependency on the
metadata version at the moment. The changes are orthogonal. I think that we
could mention KIP-848 as the first usage of this flag in the KIP. I will
also update KIP-848 to include it when this KIP is accepted. Another use
case is the Queues KIP. I think that we should also use this new flag to
gate it.

Best,
David