For encoding the list-type: I see John's point about re-encoding the
list-type redundantly. However, I also don't like the idea that the
Deserializer returns a fixed type...

Maybe it's best allow users to specify the target list type on
deserialization via config?

Similar for the primitive types: I don't think we need to encode the
type size, but users could specify the type on the deserializer (via a
config again)?

About generics: nesting could be arbitrarily deep. Hence, I doubt we can
support this and a cast will be necessary at some point in the user code.

-Matthias