The scikit-learn implementation may be of interest:

http://scikit-learn.org/stable/modules/generated/sklearn.cluster.Ward.html#sklearn.cluster.Ward

It's a bottom up approach.  The pair of clusters for merging are
chosen to minimize variance.

Their code is under a BSD license so it can be used as a template.

Is something like that you were thinking Hector?