If you're thinking along these lines, have a look at the DecisionTree
implementation in MLlib. It uses the same idea and is optimized to prevent
multiple passes over the data by computing several splits at each level of
tree building. The tradeoff is increased model state and computation per
pass over the data, but fewer total passes and hopefully lower
communication overheads than, say, shuffling data around that belongs to
one cluster or another. Something like that could work here as well.

I'm not super-familiar with hierarchical K-Means so perhaps there's a more
efficient way to implement it, though.