Thanks Patrick! That was the issue.
Built the jars on windows env with mvn and forgot to run make-distributions.ps1
 afterward, so was looking at old jars.

From: Patrick Wendell [mailto:pwend...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2015 10:43 PM
To: Judy Nash
Cc: dev@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: New Metrics Sink class not packaged in spark-assembly jar

Actually, to correct myself, the assembly jar is in assembly/target/scala-2.11
(I think).

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Patrick Wendell
<pwend...@gmail.com<mailto:pwend...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Judy,

If you have added source files in the sink/ source folder, they should appear
in the assembly jar when you build. One thing I noticed is that you are looking
inside the "/dist" folder. That only gets populated if you run
"make-distribution". The normal development process is just to do "mvn package"
and then look at the assembly jar that is contained in core/target.

- Patrick

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:02 PM, Judy Nash