Hi Sean and Wendell,

I share your concerns about how difficult and important it is to get this
right. I think that the Spark community has compiled a very readable and
well organized NOTICE file. A lot of careful thought went into gathering
together 3rd party projects which share the same license text.

All I can offer is my own experience of having served as a release manager
for a sister Apache project (Derby) over the past ten years. The Derby
NOTICE file recites 3rd party licenses verbatim. This is also the approach
taken by the THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt in the JDK. I am not a lawyer.
However, I have great respect for the experience and legal sensitivities of
the people who compile that JDK license file.

Under your guidance, I would be happy to help compile a NOTICE file which
follows the pattern used by Derby and the JDK. This effort might proceed in
parallel with vetting 1.5.1 and could be targeted at a later release
vehicle. I don't think that the ASF's exposure is greatly increased by one
more release which follows the old pattern.

Another comment inline...

Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com> wrote on 09/24/2015 10:24:25 AM:

> From: Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com>
> To: Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
> Cc: Richard Hillegas/San Francisco/IBM@IBMUS, "dev@spark.apache.org"
> <dev@spark.apache.org>
> Date: 09/24/2015 10:24 AM
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.5.1 (RC1)
>
> Hey Richard,
>
> My assessment (just looked before I saw Sean's email) is the same as
> his. The NOTICE file embeds other projects' licenses.

This may be where our perspectives diverge. I did not find those licenses
embedded in the NOTICE file. As I see it, the licenses are cited but not
included.

Thanks,
-Rick

> If those
> licenses themselves have pointers to other files or dependencies, we
> don't embed them. I think this is standard practice.
>
> - Patrick
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> > Hi Richard, those are messages reproduced from other projects' NOTICE
> > files, not created by Spark. They need to be reproduced in Spark's
> > NOTICE file to comply with the license, but their text may or may not
> > apply to Spark's distribution. The intent is that users would track
> > this back to the source project if interested to investigate what the
> > upstream notice is about.
> >
> > Requirements vary by license, but I do not believe there is additional
> > requirement to reproduce these other files. Their license information
> > is already indicated in accordance with the license terms.
> >
> > What licenses are you looking for in LICENSE that you believe
> should be there?
> >
> > Getting all this right is both difficult and important. I've made some
> > efforts over time to strictly comply with the Apache take on
> > licensing, which is at http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html  It's
> > entirely possible there's still a mistake somewhere in here (possibly
> > a new dependency, etc). Please point it out if you see such a thing.
> >
> > But so far what you describe is "working as intended", as far as I
> > know, according to Apache.
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Richard Hillegas
> <rhil...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >> -1 (non-binding)
> >>
> >> I was able to build Spark cleanly from the source distribution using
the
> >> command in README.md:
> >>
> >>     build/mvn -DskipTests clean package
> >>
> >> However, while I was waiting for the build to complete, I started
going
> >> through the NOTICE file. I was confused about where to find
> licenses for 3rd
> >> party software bundled with Spark. About halfway through the NOTICE
file,
> >> starting with Java Collections Framework, there is a list of
> licenses of the
> >> form
> >>
> >>    license/*.txt
> >>
> >> But there is no license subdirectory in the source distro. I couldn't
find
> >> the  *.txt license files for Java Collections Framework, Base64
Encoder, or

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-1.5.1-rc1-bin/

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1148/

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-1.5.1-rc1-docs/