Thanks for forking the new email thread, Reynold. It is entirely possible
that I am being overly skittish. I have posed a question for our legal
experts: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-226

To answer Sean's question on the previous email thread, I would propose
making changes like the following to the NOTICE file:

Replace a stanza like this...

"This product contains a modified version of 'JZlib', a re-implementation
of
zlib in pure Java, which can be obtained at:

  * LICENSE:
    * license/LICENSE.jzlib.txt (BSD Style License)
  * HOMEPAGE:
    * http://www.jcraft.com/jzlib/";

...with full license text like this

"This product contains a modified version of 'JZlib', a re-implementation
of
zlib in pure Java, which can be obtained at:

  * HOMEPAGE:
    * http://www.jcraft.com/jzlib/

The ZLIB license text follows:

JZlib 0.0.* were released under the GNU LGPL license.  Later, we have
switched
over to a BSD-style license.

Copyright (c) 2000-2011 ymnk, JCraft,Inc. All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
     the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.

  3. The names of the authors may not be used to endorse or promote
products
     derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
AND
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JCRAFT,
INC. OR ANY CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS SOFTWARE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
NOT
LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA,
OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE,
EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE."

Thanks,
-Rick