Hi Reynold,

Yes, I'm using 1.5.1. I see them quite often. Sometimes it recovers but
sometimes it does not. For one particular job, it failed all the time with
the acquire-memory issue. I'm using spark on mesos with fine grained mode.
Does it make a difference?

Best Regards,

Jerry

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Reynold Xin <r...@databricks.com> wrote:

> Jerry - I think that's been fixed in 1.5.1. Do you still see it?
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Jerry Lam <chiling...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I disabled it because of the "Could not acquire 65536 bytes of memory".
>> It happens to fail the job. So for now, I'm not touching it.
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 4:48 PM, charmee <charm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We had disabled tungsten after we found few performance issues, but had
>>> enable it back because we found that when we had large number of group by
>>> fields, if tungsten is disabled the shuffle keeps failing.
>>>
>>> Here is an excerpt from one of our engineers with his analysis.
>>>
>>> With Tungsten Enabled (default in spark 1.5):
>>> ~90 files of 0.5G each:
>>>
>>> Ingest (after applying broadcast lookups) : 54 min
>>> Aggregation (~30 fields in group by and another 40 in aggregation) : 18