Moving this to dev --

That's good, that'll help. Technically there's still a Blocker bug:

The 'race' doesn't matter that much, but release planning remains the
real bug-bear here. There are still, for instance, 52 issues targeted
at 1.6.0, 42 of which were raised and targeted by committers. For
example, I count 6 'umbrella' JIRAs in ML alone that are still open.
The release is theoretically several weeks behind plan on what's
intended to be a fixed release cycle too. This is why I'm not sure why
today it's suddenly potentially ready for release.

I'm just curious, am I the only one that thinks this isn't roughly
normal, or do other people manage releases this way? I know the real
world is messy and this is better than in the past, but I still get
surprised by how each 1.x release actually comes about.