On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Michael Armbrust <mich...@databricks.com> wrote:
> This can be debated, but I explicitly ignored test and documentation issues.
> Since the docs are published separately and easy to update, I don't think
> its worth further disturbing the release cadence for these JIRAs.

It makes sense to not hold up an RC since they don't affect testing of
functionality. Prior releases have ultimately gone out with doc issues
still outstanding (and bugs) though. This doesn't seem to be on
anyone's release checklist, and maybe part of it is because they're
let slide for RCs.  Your suggestion to check-point release status
below sounds spot on; I sort of tried to do that earlier.

> Up until today various committers have told me that there were known issues
> with branch-1.6 that would cause them to -1 the release.  Whenever this
> happened, I asked them to ensure there was a properly targeted blocker JIRA
> open so people could publicly track the status of the release.  As long as
> such issues were open, I only published a preview since making an RC is
> pretty high cost.

Makes sense if these are all getting translated into Blockers and
resolved before an RC. It's the simplest mechanism to communicate and
track this in a distributed way.

"No blockers" is a minimal criterion for release. It still seems funny
to release with so many issues targeted for 1.6.0, including issues
that aren't critical or bugs. Sure, that's just hygiene. But without
it, do people take "Target Version" seriously? if they don't, is there
any force guiding people to prioritize or decide what to (not) work
on? I'm sure the communication happens, just doesn't seem like it's
fully on JIRA, which is ultimately suboptimal.

> I actually did spent quite a bit of time asking people to close various
> umbrella issues, and I was pretty strict about watching JIRA throughout the
> process.  Perhaps as an additional step, future preview releases or branch
> cuts can include a link to an authoritative dashboard that we will use to
> decide when we are ready to make an RC.  I'm also open to other suggestions.

Yes, that's great. It takes the same effort from everyone. Having a
green light on a dashboard at release time is only the symptom of
decent planning. The effect I think it really needs to have occurs
now: what's really probably on the menu for 1.7? and periodically
track against that goal. Then the release process is with any luck
just a formality with no surprises.