This has been resolved; see the JIRA and related PRs but also
http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/SPARK-13843-Next-steps-td16783.html

This is not a scenario where a [VOTE] needs to take place, and code
changes don't proceed through PMC votes. From the project perspective,
code was deleted/retired for lack of interest, and this is controlled
by the normal lazy consensus protocol which wasn't vetoed.

The subsequent discussion was in part about whether other modules
should go, or whether one should come back, which it did. The latter
suggests that change could have been left open for some discussion
longer. Ideally, you would have commented before the initial change
happened, but it sounds like several people would have liked more
time. I don't think I'd call that "improper conduct" though, no. It
was reversed via the same normal code management process.

The rest of the question concerned what becomes of the code that was
removed. It was revived outside the project for anyone who cares to
continue collaborating. There seemed to be no disagreement about that,
mostly because the code in question was of minimal interest. PMC
doesn't need to rule on anything. There may still be some loose ends
there like namespace changes. I'll add to the other thread about this.