Hi Sean,

(writing this email with my Apache hat on only and not Databricks hat)

The preview release is available here:
http://spark.apache.org/downloads.html (there is an entire section
dedicated to it and also there is a news link to it on the right).

Again, I think this is a good opportunity to define what a release should
contain. Based on
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#where-do-releases-go

"In addition to the distribution directory, project that use Maven or a
related build tool sometimes place their releases on repository.apache.org
beside some convenience binaries. The distribution directory is required,
while the repository system is an optional convenience."

So I'm reading it as that maven publication is not necessary. My
understanding is that the general community (beyond who follows the dev
list) should understand that preview is not a stable release, and we as the
PMC should set expectations accordingly. Developers that can test the
preview releases tend to be more savvy and are comfortable on the bleeding
edge. It is actually fairly easy for them to add a maven repo. Now reading
the page I realized no where on the page did we mention the temporary maven
repo. I will fix that.

I think it'd be pretty bad if preview releases in anyway become "default
version", because they are unstable and contain a lot of blocker bugs.

So my concrete proposal is:

1. Separate (officially voted) releases into normal and preview.

2. On the download page, have two sections. One listing the normal
releases, and the other listing preview releases.

3. Everywhere we mention preview releases, include the proper disclaimer
e.g. "This preview is not a stable release in terms of either API or
functionality, but it is meant to give the community early access to try
the code that will become Spark 2.0."

4. Publish normal releases to maven central, and preview releases only to
the staging maven repo. But of course we should include the temporary maven
repo for preview releases on the download page.