Artifacts that are not for public consumption shouldn't be in a public
release; this is instead what nightlies are for. However, this was a
normal public release.

I am not even sure why it's viewed as particularly unsafe, but, unsafe
alpha and beta releases are just releases, and their name and
documentation clarify their status for those who care. These are
regularly released by other projects.

That is, the question is not, is this a beta? Everyone agrees it
probably is, and is documented as such.

The question is, can you just not fully release it? I don't think so,
even as a matter of process, and don't see a good reason not to.

To Reynold's quote, I think that's suggesting that not all projects
will release to a repo at all (e.g. OpenOffice?). I don't think it
means you're free to not release some things to Maven, if that's
appropriate and common for the type of project.

Regarding risk, remember that the audience for Maven artifacts are
developers, not admins or end users. I understand that developers can
temporarily change their build to use a different resolver if they
care, but, why? (and, where would someone figure this out?)

Regardless: the 2.0.0-preview docs aren't published to go along with
the source/binary releases. Those need be released to the project
site, though probably under a different /preview/ path or something.
If they are, is it weird that someone wouldn't find the release in the
usual place in Maven then?

Given that the driver of this was concern over wide access to
2.0.0-preview, I think it's best to err on the side openness vs some
theoretical problem.