I think you should ask legal about how to have some Maven artifacts for these.
Both Ganglia and Kinesis are very widely used, so it's weird to ask users to
build them from source. Maybe the Maven artifacts can be marked as being under
a different license?

In the initial discussion for LEGAL-198, we were told the following:

"If the component that uses this dependency is not required for the rest of
Spark to function then you can have a subproject to build the component. See
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional. This means you will have to
provide instructions for users to enable the optional component (which IMO
should provide pointers to the licensing)."

It's not clear whether "enable the optional component" means "every user must
build it from source", or whether we could tell users "here's a Maven
coordinate you can add to your project if you're okay with the licensing".

Matei