If the changes aren’t that hard, I think we should also consider building a
Scala 2.12 version of Spark 2.3 in a separate branch. I’ve definitely seen
concerns from some large Scala users that Spark isn’t supporting 2.12 soon
enough. I thought SPARK-14220 was blocked mainly because the changes are hard,
but if not, maybe we can release such a branch sooner.

Matei