Forking this thread to muse about Spark 3. Like Spark 2, I assume it would
be more about making all those accumulated breaking changes and updating
lots of dependencies. Hadoop 3 looms large in that list as well as Scala
2.12.

Spark 1 was release in May 2014, and Spark 2 in July 2016. If Spark 2.3 is
out in Feb 2018 and it takes the now-usual 6 months until a next release,
Spark 3 could reasonably be next.

However the release cycles are naturally slowing down, and it could also be
said that 2019 would be more on schedule for Spark 3.

Nothing particularly urgent about deciding, but I'm curious if anyone had
an opinion on whether to move on to Spark 3 next or just continue with 2.4
later this year.