I agree with Byran. If it's acceptable to have another job to test with
Python 3.5 and pyarrow 0.10.0, I am leaning towards upgrading arrow.

Arrow 0.10.0 has tons of bug fixes and improves from 0.8.0, including
important memory leak fixes such as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-1973. I think releasing with
0.10.0 will improve the overall experience of arrow related features quite
bit.

I also think it's a good idea to test against newer Python versions. But I
don't know how difficult it is and whether or not it's feasible to resolve
that between branch cut and RC cut.