I have an update to the parser that unifies the CREATE TABLE rules. It took
surprisingly little work to get the parser updated to produce
CreateTableStatement and CreateTableAsSelectStatement with the Hive info.
And the only fields I need to add to those statements were serde: SerdeInfo
and external: Boolean.

>From there, we can use the conversion rules to re-create the same Hive
command for v1 or pass the data as properties for v2. I’ll work on getting
this cleaned up and open a PR hopefully tomorrow.

For the questions about how this gets converted to either a Spark or Hive
create table command, that is really up to analyzer rules and
configuration. With my changes, it is no longer determined by the parser:
the parser just produces a node that includes all of the user options and
Spark decides what to do with that in the analyzer. Also, there's already
an option to convert Hive syntax to a Spark
command, spark.sql.hive.convertCTAS.

rb

--
Ryan Blue