> 1. Turn on spark.sql.legacy.createHiveTableByDefault.enabled by default,
> which effectively revert SPARK-30098. The CREATE TABLE syntax is still
> confusing but it's the same as 2.4
> 2. Do not support the v2 CreateTable command if STORE AS/BY or EXTERNAL is
> specified. This gives us more time to think about how to do it in 3.1.

I prefer to first turn on *spark.sql.legacy.createHiveTableByDefault.*
*enabled* by default and then start RC2 first.

We still can continue trying option 2, if we can finish it within 10
days. BTW, we still have multiple ongoing discussions about data source v2
APIs. To be honest, most Spark users will not hit these cases in Spark 3.0.
Thus, temporarily blocking a few cases in DSV2 looks reasonable to me. We
can support them in Spark 3.1.

Xiao

--
<https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america>