Why was https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/28523 merged with a -1? We
discussed this months ago and concluded that it was a bad idea to introduce
a new v2 API that cannot have reliable behavior across sources.

The last time I checked that PR, the approach I discussed with Tathagata
was to not add update mode to DSv2. Instead, Tathagata gave a couple of
reasonable options to avoid it. Why were those not done?

This is the second time this year that a PR with a -1 was merged. Does the
Spark community not follow the convention to build consensus before merging
changes?