Hi devs,

I'm going to cut the branch yesterday. I'd like to share current progress. I
hit a problem during dry run of the release script. Fixed it in SPARK-34672.

The latest dry run looks okay as build, docs, publish all success. But the
last step (push the tag) has a fatal error, I'm not sure if it is due to dry
run mode?

========================
= Creating release tag v2.4.8-rc1...
Command: /opt/spark-rm/release-tag.sh
Log file: tag.log
========================
= Building Spark...
Command: /opt/spark-rm/release-build.sh package
Log file: build.log
========================
= Building documentation...
Command: /opt/spark-rm/release-build.sh docs
Log file: docs.log
========================
= Publishing release
Command: /opt/spark-rm/release-build.sh publish-release
Log file: publish.log
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /opt/spark-rm)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

Currently the 2.4 related Jenkins QA test aren't green. Some are not test
failure but

 > git fetch --tags --progress https://github.com/apache/spark.git
+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/* # timeout=10
ERROR: Timeout after 10 minutes
ERROR: Error fetching remote repo 'origin'
hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Failed to fetch from
https://github.com/apache/spark.git
        at hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM.fetchFrom(GitSCM.java:996)
        at hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM.retrieveChanges(GitSCM.java:1237)
        at hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM.checkout(GitSCM.java:1297)
        at hudson.scm.SCM.checkout(SCM.java:505)
        at hudson.model.AbstractProject.checkout(AbstractProject.java:1206)
        at
hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.defaultCheckout(AbstractBuild.java:574)
        at jenkins.scm.SCMCheckoutStrategy.checkout(SCMCheckoutStrategy.java:86)
        at
hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:499)
        at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1894)
        at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)
        at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:97)
        at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:428)
Caused by: hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Command "git fetch --tags
--progress https://github.com/apache/spark.git
+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*" returned status code 128:

But there is also one test failure:
https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/view/Spark%20QA%20Test%20(Dashboard)/job/spark-branch-2.4-test-sbt-hadoop-2.7/1221/console

I will take a look.