> From: Edgar P Dollin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 2) JSTL is a waste of time.  The reason I say this, not counting the
> non-java people, is if you can write x number of lines of
> useful code per
> hour, with jstl that is reduced by a factor greater than 1 due to type
> checking, refactoring support, testing difficulties, etc.

Speak for yourself, I use Struts-EL and JSTL quite happily.  One day I
would like to generate XML for the "view" and use XSLT to transform it
into HTML to which a CSS is applied, but I don't yet know how.

> 4) I am still wondering why struts became the standardized
> html nazis.  This makes absolutely NO sense.

It would be chaos otherwise, as people introduced non-standard stuff
that works in one browser but breaks another.  Struts also requires
adherence to the JavaBeans specification, nobody complains about that.

> Any tag that has a clean interaction with a struts object or
> bean should be considered for tag libs assuming either very general
usage or
> real benefit in specialized situations.

Why the insistence on getting things immediately accepted into the core?
If you put it out there, and enough people like it and use it, it will
become a defacto standard.

I don't care where the tags live.  I do care that they generate clean
HTML and don't require JavaScript.  If you want JavaScript and
non-standard HTML, then extend the Struts tags or write your own,
release them, and see what happens.

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.