At 4:04 PM -0400 9/21/04, Frank W. Zammetti (MLists) wrote:
Did you really mean to say don't base the ACTION on a concrete subclass?
If so, I'm a bit confused (which is my usual state of being, so all is
well)...

Yes. Someone is talking about writing an Action which expects in its execute(...) method to receive an ActionMapping which implements a specific interface....

public ActionForm execute(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm form, ...)
{
    MySpecialActionConfig msac = (MySpecialActionConfig) mapping;

}

What I'm saying is "MySpecialActionConfig" should be an interface.

As much as custom ActionMappings are handy in Struts today, I think the struts-chain model makes them even more attractive. We're using custom ActionMappings and a custom chain command to deal with authentication in an app that can't use J2EE roles-based authentication.

Hope this helps,
        Joe

The way I am looking at it, the only thing I'm extending is the
ActionConfig, which is a class.  The Action Martin wrote of course extends
Action.

Did I completely miss your meaning? (Ok, let me amend that to cover the
most likely scenarioa: IN WHAT *DID* I completely miss your meaning? :) )

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect