+1 on the "test build then vote to rank" approach that Tomcat uses.

As an additional clarification, I presume that we will want the same
release process for any subproject releases?  This is becoming timely
as the opportunity for a 1.0.1 release of struts-faces draws nigh.  It
might be worth mentioning this in the release guidelines as well,
including the explicit requirement that any release vote involve the
entire committer community (with PMC votes binding, as usual) -- not
just the developers who might happen to be working on that subproject.
 After all, the subprojects will still say "Struts" on them, and we're
all going to care about that reputation.

Craig