I don't agree that it makes any practical difference whether we use Tomcat or HTTPD.
Most people won't even notice the difference. (I didn't at first.) I'd still prefer
going with HTTPD "out of the box" for the sake of standardization.

My own feelings aside, I updated the website to coincide with what we discussed here.

Most of the issues raised in this thread should be resolved as part of the release
plan, rather than after the distribution (or proposed release) has been rolled. If
posting a release plan is *required* before tagging the repository, then a lot of
these concerns go away.

If a release plan is not enough to save us from "committers gone wild", then we have
problems that a "test build" phase won't fix. :)

Accordingly, I strengthened the need for a formal plan in the Release Guidelines and
Bylaws, and I also tweaked the Release Plan checklist for 1.2.5 to clarify the
terminology and sequence of events. The changes are in the repository and posted to
the site, subject to lazy consensus.