At 7:02 PM +0100 10/26/04, Niall Pemberton wrote:
I'm all for taking JSF faces strongly into account, but the proposal seems
to be *JSF only* for the view tier - to the exclusion of all others. Since I
haven't tried out JSF yet and therefore don't know enough about it that
makes me uneasy.

Seems to me at this point that its early days to commit to a JSF only
strategy. Some people already moan that struts is too jsp orientated with
the tags that are included and I'm wondering what proportion of the
exisiting Struts user base were going to loose/screw going that route?

I guess in order to agree/disagree with this stratgey I need to go and
actullay try JSF out.

I don't think that's true. In order to disagree with this strategy, you need to be interested enough in some non JSF view tier to find it worthwhile to give Struts an adapter that works with JSF as well as non JSF view technologies.

Although I'm a JSP user and interested in JSF, I'm also interested in trying to keep Struts more view-agnostic. I understand Craig's point about reinventing APIs that JSF already has (and his personal disinterest in doing that work) so I need to have a better handle on what all that would take before I agree or disagree with the strategy.

I would definitely endorse designing to take full advantage of ideas gained from JSF, and as we move towards that, we should get a better idea of what it would take to abstract away from a JSF dependency -- then we can see who's willing to do it!

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "In fact, when I die, if I don't hear 'A Love Supreme,' I'll turn back; I'll know I'm in the wrong place."
- Carlos Santana