To: "Struts Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: ActionErrors

At 9:19 AM -0400 10/29/04, Ted Husted wrote:
So, re we keeping this "undeprecated" for the sake of the ActionForm validate signature, et al?

When we move to Commons Resources, are we planning to keep it as convenience subclass (to preserve the API signature)?

Are we going to get out of ActionErrors before Struts 2.0? Between the mix of deprecations and not and the naming confusion between ActionErrors and ActionMessages, I would really like to. But no one seems to have come up with a strategy that provides suitable compatibility?

This may be Ted's question asked in different words.

Just a quick brainstorm, incompletely considered. What if we made the validation step use an external "Validator" class that would have something like this:

public boolean validate(Object form, ActionMessages messages)

We could write a Validator that maintained the current contract now, and set ourselves up for a more flexible validation approach in the future.

Be gentle, I spent all of two minutes thinking that up.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "In fact, when I die, if I don't hear 'A Love Supreme,' I'll turn back; I'll know I'm in the wrong place."
- Carlos Santana