Miscellaneous comments inline.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:48:39 +0100, Matthias Wessendorf
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I read the docs on subversion about Shale.
> Well, a very interessting point.
> However, I asked myself how it is related
> to Struts/Commons - Chain. (The Proposal aka Jericho)
>
> Has Struts Shale no relationship to (Struts/Commons)-Chain?

There is no particular relationship between Shale and *Struts*-Chain,
which is designed to decompose the Struts 1.x request processor into
little pieces.  However, there is no reason you couldn't use *Commons*
Chain inside a Shale environment in several different ways:

* When using a Filter as the application controller, compose
  all the pre-request and post-request processing to be performed
  into chains, so that you only need to configure a single filter
  in your web.xml file.

* Have your action event handlers (for things like submit buttons)
  delegate to business logic that is expressed in a chain, rather
  than executing it directly.
  that is composed in a chain

> Seams that Chain is only for Struts 1.2 ?
> or 1.3, which is based on Servlet2.2

That's correct.

> And Shale, that will be on top of Servlet2.4,
> will use Filter for CoR, isn't it?

That is the proposal, yes -- although, as I remarked above, you can
implement CoR inside a filter, in addition to the ability to use more
than one Filter.  It remains to be seen which model is easier to
program to, and for users to configure.

> Last but not least, the IoC (or dependency injection)
> from Spring or Hivemind will be *included* into Struts / Shale?

I believe that developers using a modern framework will expect an IoC
solution to be included.  Interestingly, the managed beans APIs in JSF
provide "setter injection" IoC support already -- however, that may
not be sufficient for everyone's needs.

If the Shale core code itself was limited to just managed beans, then
we could support incorporation of pretty much any IoC architecture by
leveraging JSF's pluggability APIs.  For example, the Spring folks
have already built a JSF VariableResolver that allows the managed
beans facility to instantiate Spring beans transparently.  That's
pretty cool.

Applications, of course, could integrate directly with the IoC
framework if they wanted to.

> Thanks for helping to clear my picture ;-)
>
> Greetings,

Craig