On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:10:50 -0800, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm setting up Struts to build from Ant (again), and have to go through
> the hassle of setting up build.properties.  When I brought struts-bsf
> in, I changed its build.xml to, if a "lib" directory didn't exist,
> create one and use Ant's get task to pull the jars from ibiblio.  It
> wouldn't be a long term solution to our building woes, but I figure if I
> have to go through the pain of setting up build.properties, I might as
> well make it easier for the next guy/gal.

If you want nightly builds to work :-), the "build.xml" file had
better work, with minimal need for custom build.properties files,
although I'll obviously maintain those as needed for Struts and the
commons package it depends on.

A deeper issue, though, is that the way Maven currently generates Ant
build.xml files is to duplicate hard coded URLs for the dependencies
to be retrieved.  Besides being very tough on people who try to build
when not connected to the net, the fatal flaw is when you run into
dependencies that cannot (for license reasons) be posted individually
in a repository.  Examples include the Commons Email dependence on
JavaMail.

If you're willing to hand create the Ant scripts so that you can still
use build.properties type mechanisms to override these URLs, that's
fine.  If not, then I think it's a waste of time, because there is no
solution for the non-redistributable-binary-dependencies scenario.

> Don

Craig