From: Frank W. Zammetti (MLists) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 12:39 PM
To: dev@struts.apache.org
Subject: Extending RequestProcessor to handle validation errors

Hi folks... I'm working on an update of my Struts Web Services project,
and I can't seem to work out how to do something...

What I want to do is have a way to redirect to a given JSP when ActionForm
validation errors occur that will OVERRIDE whatever might be configured in
the action mapping.  In other words... in a normal application, validation
errors occur and we get forwarded back to the input page.  I want to be
able to redirect to a different JSP, REGARDLESS of what the input page is.

I looked at overriding the processValidate() method of RequestProcessor,
but I don't see how that can work... Looking at the source of the original
RP (v1.1 this all is) I see that it does the forward and then returns a
boolean, true if no errors occur or false otherwise, so it doesn't look
like I have the opportunity to do something like the following
psuedo-code:

myOverriden_ProcessValidate() {

  boolean b = super.processValidate();
  if (!b) {
    forward to my jsp
  }

}

... because by the time I hit my check of b, the forward or redirect has
already been done.  Is it possible to override the forward or redirect
that the super.processValidate() could do?  I didn't think so.  Am I
missing the obvious somewhere on how to do this, or maybe I'm barking up
the wrong tree to begin with?  Thanks all!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New
Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the
United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as
Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named
on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete
it from your system.