On 8/8/05, Matthias Wessendorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yes, the intention is to keep standalone Tiles completely separate
> > from Struts. The plugin and request processor should be in Struts,
> > not standalone Tiles.
>
> ok I see, but Tiles currently depends on Struts ... ;)

Here's a spot where naming things precisely is going to be important.

Historically (since Struts 1.1) a version of Tiles (in package
org.apache.struts.tiles) that is integrated with, and dependent on,
Struts has been included.  There is a current effort in the Struts
Sandbox to create a *Standalone* version of TIles (in package
org.apache.tiles) that has no such dependencies, and would be more
easily used in other projects like MyFaces and Shale.  If you guys
would like to help make that happen (either in the Struts sandbox, or
possibly (thinking out loud) in a separate Jakarta subproject), it
would be great.

The current sandbox code has nightly builds available:

  http://cvs.apache.org/builds/struts/nightly/sandbox/tiles-core/

and works with Shale already.  The code was a direct port from the
current Struts 1.3.x trunk (well, as of a week or so ago, but there
haven't been any Tiles changes), adding a standalone TilesServlet for
initialization and removing the Struts dependencies.

Beyond just the port, I would also like us to consider remodelling the
standadlone Tiles APIs to work better in a portlet environment (right
now, there's a lot of passing HttpServletRequest and
HttpServletResponse objects around).  We could take advantage of the
opportunity to break backwards compatibiltiy on the internal APIs and
fix this too.

> -Matthias

Craig