I've made some progress on SHALE-179, converting the build to Maven 2.

You can see initial results in the test repo:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/struts/struts-shale/trunk/

With the major moves done, it's in a state where people can work on
individual modules and not get in each other's way.

You don't need to be a committer for this.  You can work locally and
then add a comment to the JIRA issue with the commands that need to be
run in a particular module, plus any patches for the build files.

I've reproduced the README.txt file from the test repo below.  Feel
free to add to it.  We could put this info and the scripts on the Wiki
if that's easier.  And James once mentioned wanting to do the
conversion in the main repo on a branch or "shelf", which is also an
option.

Shale - Maven 2 Conversion
==========================

Reorganizing
------------

The contents of the test repository at
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/struts/struts-shale/trunk/
are the result of importing Shale and executing the scripts listed below:

shale-reorg-01.sh
shale-reorg-clay-01.sh
shale-reorg-core-01.sh
shale-reorg-tiger-01.sh

Helping
-------

* Compare the contents of a Maven-built jar file or example webapp against
  the one that the Ant build produces.  Adjust the Maven build by moving files
  or modifying pom.xml.

* Run 'mvn test' in a module and fix the build so that the tests pass.

* Keep track of the commands you executed here in the test repo, and record
  them in a file such as shale-reorg-clay-02.sh so that your work can be
  reproduced in the main repo.

Building
--------

To build with MyFaces, excluding the tests:

  mvn install -Pmyfaces -Dmaven.test.skip=true

Thanks!
--
Wendy