On 6/5/06, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What's needed is a complete additional test environment, with its own
lifecycle, and its own classpath (i.e. dependencies tagged to this scope so
you only load things like HttpUnit or HtmlUnit here).  If integration tests
exist, they should be part of the default "mvn install" processing, just
like unit tests are, unless it is explicitly disabled.  Don't pretend that
there is only one kind of "test"!!!

Otherwise, you guys are not being serious about trying to encouraging best
practices in build environments :-(.

A bit harsh, don't you think?  The Maven devs have been discussing
this, and do plan to improve it.

It's not like you _can't_ do integration testing with Maven as it
stands.  The typical project ends up being multi-module anyway, so
having 'core', 'webapp' and 'integration' works.  You build from the
top, enabling the integration tests with a profile as desired.

AFAIK the archetype plugin doesn't currently have the capability to
set up a multi-module build in one pass, so we might provide something
like the shale-starter zip we currently have, rearranged for Maven.
And/or we could provide a shale-it archetype with the current
suggested configuration for integration testing.

Just remember that I warned you guys when we started converting Struts
Action to Maven 2... Maven isn't finished yet. :)

--
Wendy