Unfortunately, I think Struts 2.0.3 needs one more try.

I've modified struts2/core/pom.xml to declare struts-annotations as a
build extension rather than a compile-time dependency [1].

In addition, struts-annotations needs to be tagged and released with a
non-snapshot version number.  (And core/pom.xml updated to the
released version.)

The struts-annotations release can be done along with 2.0.3, but it
will require you to add the staging repo to your settings.xml so that
Maven can find the released version of struts-annotations there.

The alternative is to release struts-annotations in advance of s2, the
same way we handle the struts-master pom.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=498071

--
Wendy