On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 01:34:18 +0200
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> Sigh! So the proposal to break Fedora got unanimously approved
> without restrictions. I wonder why you requested a mailing list
> thread to be opened at all, given that you simply completely ignored
> the mailing list feedback. The "feedback request" from the proposal
> owners was already worded as if the mailing list thread was only a
> formality, and it looks like they were right.

Well, I can't speak for all of FESCo, but I read all the feedback.

> I still do not see why every exotic architecture no real user cares
> about has to fail our builds instead of being built in its own
> koji-shadow sandbox where it can only break itself.

It's not "every exotic architecture", it's the alternative arches that
have for the last several Fedora releases releases on or very close to
the same day as primary.

> There was no
> satisfactory answer to that. Our actual users use x86 machines.
> Delaying the builds for the machines our users use by some indefinite
> time

I don't think anyone said "indefinite" time. As with anything else
common sense should be used. If the bug cannot be fixed and is holding
back something important you can exclude arch to get the other builds
flowing while the bug is worked on.

> because of some obscure toolchain bug affecting some toy machine
> only a couple people at Red Hat or at some university have sitting on
> their desk helps no one. Real users do NOT use dev boards without
> even a case, FPGA development kits, or similar developer toys. They
> use "a computer", which out there in the real world means x86.

No, it helps everyone. Many bugs on these other arches turn out to
expose bugs on x86 too. If we wanted to change and be a distro for only
the most popular things we would just drop Fedora and focus on EPEL.

As always we can also see how the addition of aarch64 goes and if it
presents burden revisit things.

The sky: not falling.

kevin