I think this email from Owen summarizes what we need to keep in mind here.
Containers have caught on due to solving some important problems and thus
people are looking at models for what the future operating system would look
like where containers are the primary content delivery mechanism. In Fedora we
have
efforts arounds Docker/OCI containers and Flatpak containers and we are looking
at image
based OS installs with the Atomic and Atomic Workstation effort. The fact that
we are
developing stuff like this in Fedora is a good thing as
it means that if it does turn out to be a better model we are well positioned
to take
advantage of the shift in the market. And if the scepticism some people have
about containers
turns out to be well founded we still have our RPM based OS to fall back on.

So in the long term maybe we will start only shipping containers, if nothing
else that is a
worthwhile goal for the efforts as it informs the design decisions we take for
this like
Project Atomic. But having that as a effort goal and it actually becoming the
reality is
two very different things. If the model works really well, yes maybe we at some
point (years)
into the future decide to stop doing RPMS (at least as an end user artifact),
but in the meantime
nobody should feel threatened by the efforts done around containers or
modularity.

And who knows maybe the future ends up being a bit of a hybrid, Colin Walters
is doing great
work around rpm-ostree for instance.

Christian