On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Michael Catanzaro
<mike.catanz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Absolutely not.
>>
>> josh
>

> If it breaks the Negativo repo, then yes it is. The Nvidia driver from that

No, it's really not.

> repo is supported and it needs to not break. We've been super super lenient

That's a completely untenable position.  There is only one kernel for
all the Editions.  There will be times where the kernel needs to be
updated to fix a CVE and it breaks the nVidia driver.  There is no way
you can hold the entire distro hostage to an out-of-tree *proprietary*
driver.

> with allowing kernel updates in the Workstation product, since it seems to
> be working well for everyone involved, but that would need to be
> reconsidered if a kernel update intentionally breaks an important subset of
> our users. (Note: we only support Nvidia if installed from the Negativo
> repo, not from anywhere else.)

No, you misunderstand.  Nobody intentionally broke nvidia.  It happens
during the normal course of development because nvidia is out-of-tree
and the upstream project does not preserve ABI.  This is the price a
driver pays for being out of tree.  The only viable solution is to get
the driver upstream, which is not likely to happen.

> It sounds like patches are already available, so it shouldn't be a huge
> problem to get the Nvidia package updated.

Great.

josh